Mommies, for your kids on-the-go, try to make your own healthy hash browns! This way, you are sure that your child's favourite snack is a nutritious one and not the same junk food they could easily buy in food chains.
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, shredded
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup oil for frying, or as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse shredded potatoes until water is clear, then drain and squeeze dry. Place shreds in a bowl, and mix in the onion, flour and egg until evenly distributed.
- Heat about 1/4 inch of oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is sizzling hot, place potatoes into the pan in a 1/2 inch thick layer. Cover the whole bottom of the pan, or make separate piles like pancakes. Cook until nicely browned on the bottom, then flip over and brown on the other side. It should take at least 5 minutes per side. If you are cooking them in one big piece, it can be cut into quarters for easier flipping.
- Remove from pan, and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Remember to give your child Lactum 3+ or 6+ with his meals. Lactum has the essential nutrients found in food groups from the food pyramid. It helps make your child 100% nourished*, and you, mom, 100% panatag!
*with 3 balanced meals a day